Saturday, December 18, 2010

Okeechobee Steakhouse est.1947

I am really proud to start the White Plate Special blog with my first experience at the Okeechobee Steakhouse in WPB, Fl. This place had been recommended to me a few times so I thought Michelle and I would make a visit when we were in the area.

We arrived about 9PM and we were a little surprised at

how small and unsophisticated the building looked from the outside. We were greeted by a friendly valet who took our car keys and directed us to the front door. An earlier phone call had cleared our way for immediate seating and we found the greet staff amazingly friendly and courteous, both of which are not always found in South Florida eateries.

The inside, which had been recently updated, reminded me of the "old school" steakhouses of yesteryear with dark walls and dim lighting. Frank Sinatra crooned in the background.

I learned that the place was established in 1947 and I believe at the same location all those years. I went for the ribeye steak and Michelle opted for a large shrimp cocktail and a salad. I like my steak crisp on the outside and medium on the inside. I ask for "Pittsburgh-medium" and usually get a questionable look from the order taker. But no problem for The Okeechobee Steakhouse and it was cooked to perfection. The fat all melted leaving the most tasty steak I have had in years with absolutely no waste. Michelle loved her salad and shrimp and we vowed to return.

About halfway thru the meal one of the air conditioners froze up but we were only mildly uncomfortable. The management sprang for the dessert and coffee. We were casually dressed and the other customers ranged from casual to semi formal and they were from all age groups.

     

If you are ever in the West Palm Beach area I am sure you would enjoy a meal at the Okeeechobee Steakhouse.
                                                      Okeechobee Steakhouse & Lounge on Urbanspoon
Be sure to tell them you read about it on the WPS!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...