Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jason's Deli: The Healthy Deli Choice

When I think of a deli I think of a glass front cooler containing big slabs of corned beef, pastrami, ham, turkey, and an assortment of cheeses. I think of cholesterol, sodium and fat! But Jason's is not that kind of deli.
"At Jason's Deli, we're all about healthy food. We've even been named "One of the 10 Best Restaurants in America!" in the July 2009 issue of Parents Magazine. Our food has no high fructose corn syrup, trans fats or MSG. We just serve health, fresh and even organic foods. From sandwiches to salads, Jason's Deli offers healthy food that everyone can feel good about. And it's not only healthy food - it's delicious food."
If that surprises you don't be upset 'cause it surprised me, too.
Now I can feel good about eating deli food. Jason's serves a small array of sandwiches, soups and salads. They don't serve fries, so the sandwiches come with a handful of potato chips instead, and a pickle spear, of course.

I have a couple of favorites at Jason's. They serve a "soup of the day," but don't be afraid to ask for your favorite even if you don't see it on the soup "board" because they might have it anyway. My fav soup is the Chicken Tortilla. Chicken in a tomato/chicken broth with veggies, some shredded tortillas and a little "kick" of spice. I don't know what all they put in it, I just know it's good. If they don't have that I also like the Texas Chili and the Southwest Chicken Chili.

My favorite sandwich is the Muffaletta. Three years ago I didn't even know what a muffaletta was and now I love them. I think they originated in New Orleans. At Jason's Deli they start with a round muffaletta roll that's been cut in half like a giant hamburger bun. They build a sandwich with a few different combinations of ingredients. I usually get it with ham, hard salami, provolone and topped with olive salad. You can order a quarter for the lighter appetite, half for the bigger eater, and a whole if you eat like a horse! Each is served with potato chips and a spear.

Another of my favorites is the Beefeater. Roast beef, provolone, and mayo on French bread with a side of au jus. Then there's the New York Yankee. Corned beef and pastrami with swiss cheese on rye.

If you're all about salads they have a several item salad bar that's not much different than what you would find at about a hundred other places.

When you walk in they take your order and give you a placard to put on the table so the server can find you. You fill your own drinks and they have a complimentary frozen yogurt (or is it soft serve ice cream?) machine. I always steal a few nuts from the salad bar to sprinkle on top.

They have quite a diverse menu and you really feel like you're eating healthy when you come here. In addition they offer catering and delivery. Let them know you read about them here at http://www.whiteplatespecial.com/
Jason's Deli on Urbanspoon




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...