Thursday, March 10, 2011

Panera Bread

I have always enjoyed a lunchtime trip to Panera's. They always have a good assortment of soups, salads, sandwiches and the bread is always super fresh and tasty. My favorite sandwich is the Italian Combo. I usually accompany it with a cup of soup, potato chips, and a pickle spear.
photo courtesy of http://www.biggestmenu.com/
Wednesday night my friend Dave and I went to Comp USA to purchase a hard drive to replace the one that crashed on my desktop. Afterwards I suggested we drop in to Panera's which is in the north end of the same shopping center on Federal Highway in Ft. Lauderdale. I have enjoyed eating at this location many times in the past. It was about 8:45 and they were beginning to clean up for the 10pm closing.

Dave ordered the half sandwich with soup combo. Ham and cheese on rye with creamy tomato soup. I got a cup of broccoli and cheese with a whole smoked ham and cheese on country white bread. The ordertaker talked me into adding a cheese danish because "it's only a dollar extra!" I said "okay."

I was very happy with my choices and so was Dave. There's not much you can do to ruin a ham and cheese sandwich. They seem to use quality ingredients. And they have a way cool nutrition tool on their website that allows you to see just what you are eating. Nutritionally speaking, of course. When I go to Panera's I always have a comforting feeling that I am eating healthy.

When I finished the soup and sandwich I looked for the danish and realized that I had never received it. The ordertaker said that she thought I got it and unfortunately all the breads and pastries had been removed from the display area and they could no longer supply the danish because everything had been "donated."

It's a great gesture but maybe they should wait until the place "closes" before they give it away? It was only 9:15pm and they are open til 10. Oh, well. I didn't need the extra calories anyway. They refunded my dollar and I went to the coffee bar to fill my paper cup. There was a handwritten sign that said, "this coffee was brewed at 6:55pm." Only 2 1/2 hours old. HMMMMMM.

Kyle, the employee who was cleaning the coffee area in preparation of closing the store, let me know that it was corporate policy not to brew any fresh coffee after 7pm. So friends, don't make a special stop at Panera's for a fresh cup of coffee much after 7.

Bottom line is: I like the place. It is unfortunate that about 8:30 the employees go into "close down" mode and you feel like you are an intruder. I don't think this is "corporate's" intention. Life goes on........and so does the http://www.whiteplatespecial.com/
Panera Bread on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Richard Chowning said...

More than just a good place to eat, Panera Bread is a good place for a mobile office venue. I use it all the time. www.mypaneraoffice.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...